Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3
- Raspberry Pi
Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3 is a compact camera from Raspberry Pi. It offers an IMX708 12-megapixel sensor with HDR, and features phase detection autofocus. This is the standard version with an infrared cut filter.
Please ensure that your Raspberry Pi OS is up to date by following the official Raspberry Pi guide - a recent update contains the new libraries necessary for the new camera modules.
Note that Buster and previous Pi OS (Raspbian) do not support the new Raspberry Pi cameras.
Camera Module 3 can be used to take full HD video as well as stills photographs, and features an HDR mode up to 3 megapixels. Its operation is fully supported by the libcamera library, including Camera Module 3’s rapid autofocus feature: this makes it easy for beginners to use, while offering plenty for advanced users. Raspberry Pi Camera Modules V3 are compatible with all Raspberry Pi computers with CSI connectors - that is, all models except Raspberry Pi 400 and the 2016 launch version of Zero. For the current versions of Raspberry Pi Zero, Zero W, and Zero 2 W, you will need to use an adapter cable, such as Raspberry Pi Zero Mini Camera Cable - 38mm and Raspberry Pi Zero v1.3 Camera Cable, 150mm.
The PCB size and mounting holes remain the same as for Camera Module 2. The Z dimension differs: due to the improved optics, Camera Module 3 is several millimeters taller than Camera Module 2.
- Back-illuminated and stacked CMOS 12-megapixel image sensor (Sony IMX708)
- High signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)
- Built-in 2D Dynamic Defect Pixel Correction (DPC)
- Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF) for rapid autofocus
- QBC Re-mosaic function
- HDR mode (up to 3 megapixel output)
- CSI-2 serial data output
- 2-wire serial communication (supports I2C fast mode and fast-mode plus)
- 2-wire serial control of focus mechanism
Camera Module 3 Specifications
- Focus range: 10cm–∞
- Focal length: 4.74mm
- Diagonal field of view: 75 degrees
- Horizontal field of view: 66 degrees
- Vertical field of view: 41 degrees
- Focal ratio (F-stop): F1.8
- Infrared-sensitive: No
- Sensor: Sony IMX708
- Resolution: 11.9 megapixels
- Sensor size: 7.4mm sensor diagonal
- Pixel size: 1.4μm × 1.4μm
- Horizontal/vertical: 4608 × 2592 pixels
- Common video modes: 1080p50, 720p100, 480p120
- Output: RAW10
- IR cut filter: Integrated
- Autofocus system: Phase Detection Autofocus
- Dimensions: 25 × 24 × 11.5mm (12.4mm height for Wide variants)
- Ribbon cable length: 200mm
- Cable connector: 15 × 1mm FPC