- Alchemy Power
Guaranteed reboot after shutdown.
After a soft shutdown, the power on a Raspberry Pi needs to be toggled to reboot. This is done by pulling the USB power source out or installing an on/off switch. This becomes an issue when a Raspberry Pi is deployed remotely e.g. for monitoring temperature in a refrigeration unit or using a Pi with solar panels or other green energy sources or using a Pi in an automobile etc.
PiZ-UpTime PLUS supplies intelligent UPS capability in a Raspberry Pi-Zero-form-factor. It is designed to be used with regular sized Raspberry Pi’s e.g., Pi-3 and Pi-4. To operate a Pi-Z-UpTime PLUS, connect a battery and start the provided Python script. The connector (2x4 pin connector) on PiZ-UpTime PLUS follows the 40 pin Raspberry Pi header format. Besides powering a Raspberry Pi, PiZ-UpTime PLUS also powers other SBC’s following the Raspberry Pi header format. Alternately, by using the USB Power Out port other devices take advantage of the PiZ-UpTime PLUS capabilities.
- Guarantees reboot after shutdown and when power returns.
- Several operating modes – operates as UPS; shuts down on power failure; reboot immediately when power returns or wait after power returns – all controlled by a Python script.
- Very configurable - all parameters are controlled using the Python script. Sample script provided.
- Several operating parameters are monitored: Input V, Output V, Battery V, Input current, Battery current and board temperature.
- Uses Li-Ion batteries. Batteries not included.
- Provides UPS functionality for all Pi models with a 40-pin header, including Pi-4.
- Connection points for on-off switch, power in-out-external battery.
- LEDs can be turned on/off via a jumper.
- Raspberry Pi Models supported: Any Raspberry Pi or other SBC with a 40-pin header compliant to Raspberry Pi Foundation header definition.
- Power: Power-in via micro-USB connector. 25-30W capable power adapter recommended.
- Output: UPS power: Regulated 5V, ± 1% via OTG micro-USB and 2x4 pin header. Power provided to the Raspberry Pi via the 8-pin header, pins 2,4.
- Batteries: One Lithium Ion non-protected battery connected via terminal blocks. Recommend only one battery.
- Spacers: M2.5x10mm. Not included. Spacers are recommended for mechanical stability and provide ambient cooling air space.
- Connection Points: Connection points are spaced 2.54mm (0.1 inches) apart. Jumper studs, terminal-blocks or JST connectors are used for connections.
- Power on/off Switch: Turn power off by pulling out power On/Off jumper shunt. Turn power back on by inserting jumper shunt.
- Dimensions: 65mm x 30mm x 12mm (2.6”x 1.2” x 0.5”)
- Weight: About 20g (0.7 oz.) without batteries. Note each battery adds approximately 30 grams of weight.
PiZ-UpTime PLUS allows different modes of operation. For shutdown they are:
- Initiate a soft shutdown once power fails.
- Operate as a UPS till the battery runs low or the power returns. If the battery runs low, initiate a soft shutdown.
When power returns:
- Start the Raspberry Pi immediately.
- Wait for a designated period for power to stabilize or wait for other sensors / devices to come up before starting the Pi.
The operating modes can be mixed or matched as needed. LED’s provide operational information. Sample Python code provides information on operational parameters.