Allo Boss2 Player in Aluminum Case with Pi4-2GB
Allo's Boss DAC for Raspberry Pi has now been upgraded to the Boss2 player! It's available in two versions, with the Boss2 board and OLED screen built into the case;
- An aluminum case that includes the Boss2, Pi4-2GB, 16GB microSD card with Moode Audio, OLED screen, and remote.
- An acrylic case that includes the Boss2, OLED screen, and remote.
The Boss2 is initially supported by Moode Audio and Allo's DietPi + GUI operating systems. Other OS distros will require kernel version 5.4.77 or above.
Here is Allo's description of the evolution of the Boss2.
Boss is/was the most successful Dac made for RPI. The combination of great sound and great value proved very successful. After 3 years, the only questions were... how can we make Boss2 sound even better? How can we provide better value?
For sound quality we decided to use the new Cirrus Logic DAC CS43198 as a master (another first from the ALLO team). Unlike the pcm5122, it has excellent THD (-120 vs – 83). Unlike Ess chips, the sound is “darker” (not bright, low out of band noise). We are using over 30LDOs (as usual), two super caps and countless filters. We also upgraded the power input filtering with common mode chokes.
For even more value, we are including an aluminum or acrylic case with every Boss2 Player along with Oled screen and IR remote (no PSU included). We recommend the Nirvana power supply (with earthed switch on) for the best sound quality, but a cheap PSU will only degrade the THD by 1 to 2db.
The Boss2 is a meaningful upgrade over the original Boss in sound quality and measurements, and is a much better "bang for your buck".
While the WIFI of RPI4 is better than previous models, it is still not great. We highly recommend adding our WIFI dongles (or use your own). In our tests, RPI4 + Boss2 with acrylic can reliably play hi resolution files with a standard WIFI access point no more than 9 to 10m away. Boss2 and RPI4 with ALU case plays reliably at around 5m or less. Using WIFI dongles will increase the range substantially.
- Cirrus Logic DAC CS43198 with -120dB THD
- 44.1k-192k sample rate, bit depth 16bit/24bit/32bit
- OLED display screen
- 7-button remote
SINGLE POWER INPUT 5V 2.85A
The Pi4 and Boss2 can be powered by one power supply. The power supply is either connected to;
- The Boss2 DC Barrel Jack (5.5 X 2.1 mm), or
- The Pi4 USB-C input
DUAL POWER INPUT
Alternatively, the Pi4 and Boss2 can be powered separately.
- Please note that the Boss2 alone needs only 100mA.
- To power the two boards separately, jumper 18 must be removed from the Boss2 circuit board. It may be under a section of shrink tube as shown in the following image.